On a two-lane street seamed with cheerful homes America happens. The road is graffitied with chunky chalk drawings. Bicycles swirl by in lazy speeds. A neighbor returns a muffin pan. This is the avenue of our home, which was built when young men were shipped overseas to serve their country in The Great War. It is a humble, charming home with a pointy roof that blends with the block’s neighborly atmosphere but inside we made it our own.
Imagine falling into Jeannie’s bottle, a lair so comforting it in no way relates to the ornamental bottle. Our house traipses into the fantastical with unexpected colors and accents. We chose pieces that won’t be the subject of a freak out when kids spill chocolate milk or the dog snags a spot on the couch when we are out–all regular occurrences here.
There are always games in motion. Artwork is created. Food is prepared and enjoyed. There are helium balloons that get caught in the rafters that take a week to fall to the ground. Neighborhood kids wander in and out.
I grew up with the understanding that you wore hand gloves to the theater and tea is served with squared blocks of sugar. A mix of old values and new traditions collide in our home. While we respect the past, value special passed down pieces, we scale back to fit into today’s lifestyle and design.
Task List for a Modern Retro Home without the Clutter:
- Quality Pieces: Fewer furnishings loaded with style can carry a room. Consider when to splurge or style with simple, trendy accents like pillows and throws.
- Add Color with Accessories: Painting the walls white is the ultimate blank canvas. This allows you to design with statement pieces, like wicker furniture painted in a punchy color, art or appliances.
- Use Washable Upholstery and Fabrics: Eliminate anxiety when someone drinks something aside from water on the couch. Use slipcovers and washable pillowcases to keep a home stress-free and comfortable.
- Retro Kitchen Appliances Add Impact: A new refrigerator in a mod design, supported by a microwave, espresso maker or appliance with a period look, distinguish the kitchen.
The Accent Pieces:
- Linked-In style: When designing a room bring in like-minded pieces for keep a cohesive theme.
- Picture frames: Family photos are the personal accent to a lived in home, which are connected through the shell frames.
- Wall art: Simple pictures with spots of color like prints from books or maps, expertly framed, bring interest above and add style.
- Toys: To keep the “family” in family room, kid toys should always be available. An easel or blocks concealed in baskets or drawers make the room more inviting for the 10 and under crowd.